Saturday, July 26, 2008

Getting Used to Blue!

So I finally had a few minutes to sit down and write this weekend. The week was a crazy one with the girls being in PA at my in-laws and then myself getting ready for a garage sale at my parents' house. the garage sale went wonderfully and I think it was the busiest one I have ever had. I don't know if it was the economy or what but there was a constant stream of people coming in. The girls had a blast at their grandparents house at their church's vacation bible school. When they came home we broke the news that they were getting a baby brother. Maddelyn seemed pleased but no big reaction. Emma was not happy at all. She tucked her little fists in her armpits and snarled up her nose at the news. She teared up and said but I want a sister! Oh my! I guess it's because she is 3 1/2 and in that stage that boys are yucky.

Today I started the morning by visiting my good friend Jenn's new local scapbooking store Scrapbooking Cafe. Their grand opening was today and I stopped in to see some of the yummy new scrap goodies! It was really funny picking up some blue and brown papers. Yes....I can do some cute shabby chic pages with a teal blue and chocolate brown but the intention of these were to make some pregnancy or newborn layouts for the new baby's album. Getting used to blue is definitely not easy. I've been out shopping a bit since we found out and yes it's nice to see things that are non=pink, but the boy outfits and crib sets just plain old aren't as cute as the girls. I have found though that you can't just buy plain blue or blue stripes/patterns on boys clothes and such. On my girls I tend to try and lean away form any items that have like characters on them or such. As in...we only have a few princess shirts or pooh bear blankets. I generally buy just solids or cute patterns (dots/stripes/gingham's.) Well with baby boy stuff everything has balls, trains. trucks, airplanes, dinos, lions, or such on them. Even the simple basic onzies at walmart were blue but then had a bat and ball on them. Oh this is going to be hard. And...on top of all of that how do you leave the house with your newborn without the headband, bonnet, ruffle socks, and tiny patten leather black dress shoes. I know I will adjust, but what accessories can you put on a tiny boy? LOL! NOT that I am the least bit unhappy or complaining about our precious gift. I am just saying after three girls it is definitely going to take some adjustment.

3 comments:

Amber said...

Aw Poor Emma! I hope it's her age! LOL! Hopefully she gets used to it after he is born! She will learn to appreciate having a brother?

4ddintx said...

Emma will adjust once she has a little brother to hold (and maybe before then!). She and Lydia are two peas in a pod on this one, though. Every time anyone asks the girls what they think the baby is, the older 3 girls hem and haw, "We don't care" or "maybe a boy this time" or "maybe a girl since we have so many". But not Lydia--her response is ALWAYS, "I think it's a girl!".

I know you'll get used to the boy stuff--they do have cute little caps and still wear socks and cute little shoes/booties--or you can put your energy into dressing your 3 Princesses and accessorizing them and put your little guy in one piece outfits with feet included and make it easy! I know you'll do it with style, no matter what!

Joyful Mom ~ Karla said...

Mandi,

Try Dillard's. Sometimes they have cute things that are simply striped, plaid, or solid without all the stuff on it. And Gymboree has cute things too...with matching socks! hee hee hee :)

Hugs,
Karla