Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sick Day

So today by our surprise we all stayed home sick from church. I can't remember the last time we all missed Sunday service? I should have seen it coming though because Elijah has had some stomach bug all week and Emma said her tummy hurt last night. So this morning it hit Nathan and I and then in combination with the "after camping allergies" I was done in. So we all stayed in our PJ's today...yes sad to admit... and the girls played and watched some movies. Dad and I napped a bit and then did some work on our computers.

I was able to get some homeschool lesson planning done. Week one went rather well, besides our little no-focusing bit earlier in the week so on with week 2. I have done lots of research this past Summer on different methods and curriculum and I have decided to order Five in a Row (FIAR), which is also a theme/literature based program but it is pretty laid out for you. I will still have to do the "3 R's" on the side but everything I've read/seen on the program seems to be wonderful. I also have a friend who is using FIAR and she was so sweet to have a chat with me a while back about the benefits of the program. Another great thing is that we will be able to teach Maddie and Emma both with the same FIAR volume and just do their individual 3 R's. We still will be doing certain lapbooks here and there on themes we want to cover but FIAR will be our main program. We are also able to do our labooking with these FIAR stories as well. I'm pretty excited about it and now just have to wait for it to arrive in the mail. Until it arrives we have the "Grocery Store" lapbook to work on this week with the girls. It covers things such as the food groups, money, how different foods help you, categorizing, and such. Emma and Caroline will also be working on a "Color Yellow" mini lapbook. On top of these they have their regular phonics, math, and such lessons. It should be a fun week.

2 comments:

*Heather said...

Yeah! So glad you are doing fiar! I think you will love it! Let me know what your first one will be and I will send you the lapbook if I did one for that one. Have fun! So glad things are going so well for you!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

We're using FIAR this year, too, for enrichment/social studies/science. I review the books and post about our go-alongs and activities, if you want to check out my blog.

Sounds like you're off to a great start!