Thursday, September 24, 2009

Weekend Away

We had a pretty busy week last week with Em's appointment and then spending the weekend. Em's appointment went really well at the dermatologist. We found out that we are being referred to a plastic surgeon for the birthmark on her head. The doctor also treated the warts on her hands and said that when she has the surgery on her head that they will also take care of the little red spot on her cheek. It really dawned on us that day just how sensitive her skin really is! After our appointment in Columbus of course I had to run by my friend Amy's scrap store! She really does have the cutest store so if you're headed to Columbus email me and I will give you directions. I am hoping all the new scrap stuff will inspire me to get back into scrapbooking again. I feel like it is almost this long lost friend.

We then headed to Pennsylvania for the weekend to help celebrate my mother-in-laws birthday. We had a nice lunch together at an Amish restaurant. After the meal the guys all went to a sports bar to watch the Nebraska game (you can't get it on the local channels). Too sad that they got to watch their team lose in the last few seconds of the game. Nathan's sister and I went shopping with Emily for her bridal shower while the guys were watching the game. I think we've decided to go with a black and white theme with lime green accents. I'm so used to doing kid parties that it's hard to switch out of that pattern. Somehow I'm thinking pull string pinatas and goddie bags are not a norm for bridal showers??? Just kidding! Hopefully this will be a more grown up affair.

Nathan and I were able to sneak away for the night Saturday night without any kids. (HUGE thanks to the in-laws for kids sitting overnight!) We spent the night in Akron and the next morning went to the Yankee Peddler Festival in Canal Fulton. This is our third year going to the festival and we will definitely be back next year! It's a great time away for just the two of us and we also find some great items for the house. this year I picked some dried flower bundles to hang over our kitchen sink, in front of the window instead of a valance. I also picked up a tea pot cookie cutter for Em's tea party in a few weeks, a military family sign, and a few Christmas gifts. It was a very nice time away just remembering that we were best friends before we had children. It's amazing how easily we just get in the blur of raising kids and keeping life going that we forget why we even have this house and family to begin with. Sometimes it's just nice to be able to enjoy time with each other catching up on life. When your main conversations of the day are "The doctor said", "I've started noticing such and such with the kids," "So and so called", "When you're out can you stop and pick up whatever", you tend to kinda lose sight of the person you married and all the qualities about them that made you fall in love with them to begin with. We are truly blessed to have family to help out in watching the kids sometimes so we can take a few moments away by ourselves. We love our kids dearly but sometimes Mom and Dad just need time alone together.

No comments: