Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A Little Soapbox from Me! :D

I have some exciting news, but until I have all the details on it I need to keep a lid on it. I will tell you though that it has to do with a guest design team spot. Those kinda emials just make me smile!

Nathan preached/taught at my home church in Willard tonight on politics and one's civic/Christian responsibilty. Which reminds me, tomorrow is the National Day of Prayer. This is a VERY important day not only to come together to pray for this great nation and it's leaders, but becuase a bill will be brought before Congress tomorrow. Bill HR 1592 (the Hate Crimes Bill) which you can read more on the actual wording of the bill here - http://www3.capwiz.com/afanet/issues/bills/?bill=9668611 So the base of this bill is to make it that if you commit a crime on one of the listed "protected" groups of people, you would receive a greater punishment. So not only does this bill state that hurting/killing/whatever some people is more important that doing the same act to other people, it also opens the grounds for thought crimes. Which means that a person is punishable for thier "thoughts". This is a very scary thing because included in this is not just actually commiting a crime aginast one of these protected groups of people, but also speaking slander against these people. Can you see where this could cause problems? Let's say a minister gets up on a Sunday and speaks out against one of these protected groups (yes sexual orientation is one of them). Then what? Can they be charged with a hate crime? Based on other countries who have passed such laws...yes! So I guess I stand back at this point and say...so if someone commits a CRIME which is punishable, why is it now a HATE CRIME just because who is was commited against?

So now you see why it is crucial to be in prayer about the passing of this bill! You actually can go to the website above and click on a link to see if your local representives are for or against the bill and write them on how you feel they should vote. I just thought this was way too important of a matter to let it slip under the table as so many of these bills do.

Yeah, I know this post is quite political. Yes, many of my readers are scrapbookers, but I figured this is me. Why worry about offending someone reading my blog? If they are reading my blog, they probably have figured out that I am married to a right-winged guy and politics and conservatism is a regualr dinner conversation in our home. That's who we are so why shouldn't my blog reflect that?? LOL! But don't worry....much to Nathan's dismay I'm not turning this into yet another political blog! HaHa! It is still just ramblings of our life with a few layouts and pictures of the kids.

No comments: