Monday, March 19, 2007

A "DUH!" Moment for Mandi

Ok...so I did something dumb, but I did learn my lesson. I'm not sure how much I shared earlier, but a little over a month ago we were having troubles with Caroline latching on to nurse as well as her being quite colicy. So, long story short, we ended up seeing a lactation consultant in Columbus which ia an hour and 15 min from here. Five treatments and over a month later, we finally have gotten the problem fixed. But, while on this journey with Caroline we discovered that she has a dairy sensitivity. Which menas that I can not have any dairy in my diet as long as I am nursing her. Basically her little body can not handle the protiens in cows milk and when they are not digested by her, she has an allergic reaction to them. This usually shows itself in fussiness/colic, dry skin, gassiness, and a rash. So.....I have been TOTALLY off all dairy and anything containing even traces of dairy for about 5 weeks. At first it was HORRIBLE because I love milk/cheese/icecream, but also dairy is in EVERYTHING! Anything baked pretty much has dairy in it and this meant learning to shop and cook in a whole new way. So I was doing really well besides a few mishaps here and there, but nothing too big and then my mom made reubens. Ok, anyone who knows me well enough knows this is a weekness for me. so, Of course I had one...swiss cheese and all! I did have her only put a half of a slice on each of my sandwiches, but it was still cheese. So I learned my lesson!!!! Caroline has been a fit the last 24 hours!!!! She is unbelieveably fussy and gassy. Last night we were up basically once an hour with her crying and trying to get her to calm down. She also has had a horrible runny/stuffed up nose. But, at least with that I know she is in the process of getting the dairy out of her system. I think it will take about 48-72 hours to clean it out of her system. So...long story, but let's just say I learned my lesson!!!! Impulses are not a good thing when it comes to a dairy allergy!!! Yes, the reuben was WONDERFUL, but it was so not worth it!!!! I guess all other dairy comfort foods can wait until after nursing!!!! At least I know I will get my Breyers strawberry ice cream back some day. I myself might have a slight dairy sensitivity, but I will deal with a runny nose and itchy eyes for my Breyers. Having Caroine go through the reaction is a different story though.

So...sum up of the weekend.......Saturday I wen tot the twin slae in Columbus. I blogged about it last fall, but for those who missed it, it is basically like a garage sale on steriods! It is a garage sale hosted by a mother of twin's club that only sells kid items. I usually walk away with a laundry basket or two of clothing and kid supplies for CHEAP! After that we watched the Ohio State BB Game...Go bucks!!!! My parents and brother came over for reubens and we just chilled out.

Sunday was church and then I spent the afternoon running around trying to get stuff for the girls' birthday party. It was nice to be able to leave the girls home with Nathan while I ran errands. So I am quickly learning that if at all possible it is best to wait until the weekends when Nathan is off and can watch the girls while I do errands. So much easier that toteing 3 under 4 around all day shopping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the dairy :( I am glad though that you know about it, and are very sensitive to it. Hubby has a relative that has an allergy such as that, and it didn't turn out well b/c they were fed dairy all the time... not good. I'm glad you made it out to a great garage sale, I am going to have to hit some up this spring before baby makes her entrance, I have much I need to get again!! I will be updating my blog again soon too, it's been too long I know ;)