Thursday, February 7, 2008

Watching History Happen Live!

As many of you know, Nathan and I were able to watch history unfold infront of our very eyes today. We were about 5 rows back when Govenor Romney announced that he was suspending his Presidential campaign. When he walked into the room here at CPAC it went wild! He obviously was the key speaker of the day as far as crowd anticipation....which makes sense since he was the true conservative canidate speaking at a conservatie political action confrence. Everyone was hooting and hollering and holding up signs. The campaign volunteers and loaded the crowd with Mitt material and I think we ended up with like 8 signs, 3 pins, a tee shirt, and a foam glove??? Yeah the room was full of support for the govenor. He made a great speach and everyone was cheering him on. Little did we know that his speech was about to take a dramatic change and he soon was telling us that for the sake of the party and winning in the Fall he was backing out. He told us it was all about America and making sure someone who would strongly and not cowardly back the war on terror get elected, and by him stepping back this would give us more of a chance as a party in November. Very couragous and honorable decision! I felt horrible for him and Ann though! You could tell he was having trouble fighting emotions through the speech and when they left the room Ann had tears in her eyes. The rest of the room just sat there in shock after he exited the room. See, the news broke on tv and the blogs around noon or so and that was right around the time they were shutting all of us in to wait on his arrival. We were told afterwards, that once the seats were all filled they closed up the hall's doors to keep us in and the news out. The people waiting in the hallways were starting to find out and spread the word about the news and they were told to keep it down because the people inside did not know yet. Also, because we are in a bad cell spot it was hard for people to get messages in the hall so that kinda delayed the spread of the news before Mitt delivered it. Like I said....totally a shock!

I'm once again sitting in the room while Nathan is out shaking hands, part because I am still under the weather and part because we have yet another early alarm! The President arrives tomorrow at 7:15 for his speech so security opens up at 5:00am for all of us to pass through! Nathan said for us to get ready, take the metro and be there first thing to get a seat...the wake-up call is going to ring at 3:45! Oh how politics was not meant for sleepy heads like me! Nathan though said he would be back to th room at around midnight and then up at 3:45, but he said...hey..that's CPAC for you!

Okay since with the craziness of getting into DC yesterday I did not do day 6, here is days 6 and 7.

Day 6:
I love and respect my husband because.......he knows that I am always pushing things right until the very last minute with getting there on time (or late!) and he still loves me. If he says let's leave between 1:30 and 2:00, we have all the kids in the van and on the road at 2:15. I also hate being late and I really do try, but being OCD and a perfectionist, there is always something else to do or work on before we leave. Yes, it's not always things that have to be done before we leave, but I have a hard time putting things down and walking away before they are complete. Sorry hun, and thanks for still loving me with my flaws!

Day 7:
I love and respect my husband because.......everywhere that man goes people say they see so much potential in him and he WILL either be a king or king maker someday. I have been telling him that for years, so it's nice to hear others affirming that in his head....now if he will just accept the compliments and let them sink in!

No comments: